Overweight, Boring Children? Your Fault.

Climbing Rocks on Our Favorite Nature Trail
A recent study on why our most recent generation of children is more likely to watch TV or play video games revealed that the parents were usually at fault for their children's unhealthy behavior.
Children reported wanting to go outside & play, but parents often refused because they felt it 'wasn't safe.'

When I was about 9 years old I remember riding my bike for miles (we're talking 10+) often with a friend on the handlebars to the beach so that we could go swimming in Lake Michigan. There were plenty of other children around and we rode in the streets because motorists pretty much always got out of our way.

Though there are bike lanes by my house, I have never seen an unaccompanied child riding down my street. And, although our city law requires that in areas without bike lanes people on bikes be given the same road rights as cars, it rarely happens.

What do you think? What can we, as parents, do to make the streets safe for our kids again?


Namaste,
Ani