Our Simple Homeschool



I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn. ~Albert Einstein


Children love to learn. They are born with a natural curiosity about the world; which, if encouraged and not stifled, can lead them to natural and lifelong learning and discovery. In order to encourage my son in his self-education I recently set up a homeschool space in our home. A desk, a computer, paper, writing implements, a whiteboard, worksheets and books. A simple area that he can go to whenever he wants to explore the academic side of life. :)

Here are some tips for how we set up a learning area in our home:

  • Get a computer -- We found an old eMac for less than $100 online. My son can use it to visit learning websites like pbskids.org, starfall.com, and nickjr.com; or to practice his typing skills in a simple text editor. Once you've set it up with software, games or websites that you choose, a computer can be a great learning tool for a preschooler.
  • Collect books on different subjects -- We have so many books on so many things. Birthdays and holidays bring gifts of books on my sons latest obsession (currently space). I've separated them into themes and have searched out supporting materials on the web to create learning units. He likes to read, and afterward there's usually a fun activity. ;)
  • Buy (or make) preschool paraphernalia -- Expose your child to flashcards, scissors, construction paper, glue, craft materials, worksheets and anything else that is traditionally found in a preschool classroom. When I find a new activity I usually do it with him at least once and show him where it will be stored. After that he can choose which activity he wants to do without needing to ask me.
  • Carve out a quiet kid-friendly study space -- It's really important for your child to have a quiet and clean space to work in. When you're setting it up, think of all of the things you would want in a study space and keep your child's size in mind. Make sure everything can be reached easily.

Here are some other places on the web you can use for resources: