Happy Earth Day 2011

Take some time to day to think about ways you can minimize your impact on the planet.

1. Go Carfree -- if not forever then just for today. Walk, bike or use public transit whenever you can.

2. Carpool -- if your life doesn't allow you to go carfree get together with neighbors or colleagues and organize a carpool.

3. Start a garden -- if you're an apartment dweller like me you can try something small (we're starting a container herb garden) and expand as your space allows.

4. Switch out those lightbulbs -- the management at my complex just switched every bulb out to CFL ones. The don't need time to 'warm up' or cast a weird glow anymore... I actually can't tell the difference.

6. Switch off the AC -- we live in a pretty hot area (NC) and it's already AC season down here. Instead I purchased a cheap two way window fan and put one in each room. Set a bowl of ice in front of it to up the cooling factor.

5. Get a pitcher filter -- I don't like tap water (who does) but, instead of buying bottled water I bought a Brita Pitcher for my fridge and an aluminum water bottle to take with me when I'm on the go.

6. Go Vegetarian -- try some of the recipes here and consider going vegetarian once (or every ;)) night of the week.

Try one, or all, of these tips and have a happy Earth Day!

Namaste,
Ani